The Charlotte Jane
James Sail (1819-1908), a labourer, migrated to Canterbury, apparently alone, when he was 31. At some stage he moved to Papanui and owned “Sail’s Land”. Records show that in 1900 he was living in Papanui.
“Sail’s Land” is near Harewood Road and was a farm in early Papanui. James later moved to North Canterbury, around Cust. At some stage he married and had at least one child, William Owen Sails, who is buried in the Anglican portion of the Cust cemetery.1