The Charlotte Jane
Mrs Whitmore, nee Jean Grubb, migrated with her mother, Mary (30), and siblings Mary (6), Jean (4) and Jessie (2). John Grubb had landed in Port Victoria (later Lyttelton) in 1848 and had already built a V-hut for his family. In July 1851, the family bought a section on London Street, where they moved some time later. According to sources, in 1900 Jean was living in Stanmore Road, Richmond.
According to sources, Jean Grubb’s real name is Jane (October 13, 1845-August 1927). She was born at Brechin, Fofashire, Scotland. She married Tamerlane Vitruvious Whitmore (July 25, 1841-July 24, 1904), an American from Phippsburg, in 1870.1
The Grubb family is credited with being the first to buy land in Canterbury; their V-hut was in London Street. At that time, John Grubb was the mail carrier between Lyttelton and Wellington, and he built the ketch Caledonia, which traded around the bays and coasts.
Jane wrote three articles, published in Christchurch newspapers, about her memories and experiences of early colonial Christchurch. The couple lived at Lyttelton and Christchurch. Together they had 10 children − John (1874-1879), Tamerlane V. Jun. (1875-1907), Leonard A. (b. 1877), David (b. 1879), James (b. 1880), Frances (b. 1882), Violet (b. 1884), Agnes (b. 1884), Arnold (b. 1886) and Herbert (b. 1888). According to a family member, Whitmore Street in Christchurch is named after the family.2