The Charlotte Jane
Mary Griffin migrated to Canterbury when she was 21 with her husband, Edward Griffin, an agent (23). This may be the Mr Griffin who owned a smith’s forge on the corner of Manchester and High streets in the 1850s. According to records, Mrs Griffin was living in St Asaph Street, Linwood, in 1900.
Mary Griffin nee Gough married Nathaniel Edward Griffin in Tettenhall, Staffordshire on 24 August 1850.
Nathaniel Edward Griffin (called Edward and many records list him as such) and Mary settled in Christchurch and had 8 children, 5 boys and three girls, the first born in 1851 and the last born in 1874 Edward was a blacksmith, thus the reference to ownership of the forge. Nathaniel Edward died in 1884 leaving Mary with her youngest child aged just 10 years. Many of her children did not marry or have issue. One son travelled to Australia, married there and had three daughters. Mary Griffin died in 1903 in Christchurch.