The George Seymour
Edward Washbourn (1843-1935) emigrated to Canterbury with his parents Henry (1816-1898) and Mary, and his siblings Henry (1838-1908), Maria (10) and Fanny (6).
Upon arrival, Henry Sen. selected a 50-acre block (RS10) west of Hagley Park, between Riccarton and Blenheim roads and bordering Deans Avenue. This also entitled the family to a town section, which he chose in Lyttelton and leased to storekeeper William Pratt.
By the middle of 1851, the family had moved to Riccarton, where they pitched their tent on what would later become “Brockworth’’. In 1853, the family took up the lease of about 5000 acres on Run 122 along the south bank of the Selwyn River. This was “Washbourn’s Station’’, on which his eldest sons Henry and Edward ran cattle, while the rest of the family remained at Lower Riccarton.
Henry Sen. was a founder member of the Canterbury A&P Association.
Records show that in 1900, Edward and his brother Henry were still living at Selwyn.