The George Seymour
It is possible that Mrs C. Withell nee Corlett is Eliza Corlett, who emigrated with her family when she was eight (see Benjamin Corlett).
Sources confirm that this is Eliza H. Corlett, who married Charles Withell in 1880. She lived at Brookside and died in 1928.1
Eliza H. Corlett was born on 22 May 1843 at Lezayre on the Isle of Man. Her parents were Stephen Corlett and Jane Lawson who had married at Bride on the Isle of Man on 26 March 1825. The Corlett family has been traced back on the Isle of Man to the 1500's.
Stephen Corlett was manager of J C Watt-Russell's farm at Ilam for a while before buying section 110 on Riccarton Road. The western boundary of section 110 was originally known as Corlett's Lane, named after Stephen. The spelling was probably changed as Corlett was spelt with a "u" on the passenger list of the Sir George Seymour. This spelling has been used on the plaques in Cathedral Square.
Eliza married Charles Withell (a widower with 11 children) on 3 November 1880 at Riccarton.
They had 2 children - Mabel Elizabeth born 2 July 1881 at Brookside and Lilian Lawson born 27 November 1883 also at Brookside.
Charles and Eliza retired to New Brighton in 1908. Eliza died on 8 August 1928 and was buried at the Linwood Cemetery.
Submitted by - Judith Woodward (nee Withell) from unpublished family history.