This is Jane Free (1). John and Mary Free migrated with seven children. At first they settled on the north side of the Avon between Barbadoes and Madras streets. He had a flagstaff on his section, and Mrs Free used to pull up a flag at noon and five o’clock. Free’s flag was known all over Christchurch − it was visible in the days before the trees grew. John sold that land and the family moved to Cust, where he bought 700 acres, but the flagstaff remained. John died in a work accident in 1866.
Jane Free (1849-1918) married Thomas Bell Howson (1839-1920), who came from Cumberland in 1867. She died at Sedgemere in 1918. He died two years later.
For further info on Thomas and Jane Howson of Howsons Rd Cust, contact the Cust Museum Box 110 Cust. There is also information on the Free family of Freefield Terrace Rd Cust. (family of Jane Howson)