George (1803-1883) and Sarah (1808-1894) Chaney were the oldest couple on the Randolph. They boarded with four young children, an 18-year-old son (William) and a 17-year-old daughter. Randolph was born on board.
George and William were stonemasons. They had worked on Canterbury Cathedral in England and had been recruited to build the proposed Cathedral for Christchurch. Frustrated at delays for this Cathedral, and irritated at having to build the Lyttelton Prison, William bought property at the northern end of Marshlands Road, which today bears the name Chaneys Corner.
In 1895, Randolph moved his family of 11 children to Riccarton, where he worked in the newly opened Islington Freezing Works. A son, George Chaney, enlisted in August 1916. He arrived in France in time for the Messines offensive, and fought at Passchendaele, before being detached to the School of Instruction for further training in early November.
Rejoining his unit on November 20, he was killed nine days later and is commemorated at the New Zealand memorial at Buttes New British Cemetery at Polygon Wood.